Omni Instruments Profile
Omni Instruments is an 18 year young technology application organization dedicated to creating
products and services that further social and ecological well-being on a local and planetary basis. We
believe that our process facilitates furtherance of social causes by our attitudes and approaches.
We are committed to maintaining proficiency in electronic and mechanical fields for light transport
system design and associated marketing and management. We believe that only through the vision of
a generalist can the full value of changing technology be successfully applied to the needs of the public
Concurrent with that professional overview we share a deep commitment to facilitation of community
action in our work process and in the appropriate application of the technology to the needs of evolving
civilization. This commitment pervades our work process and creates a sense of mission in our ongoing
That said, we have a number of technical assets such as:
Omni also maintains a business environment to allow sufficient support for our technical efforts such as:
- 1. Microprocessor development skills backed by several man-years of successful design and current
access to hardware and software tools for advanced product development.
- 2. Power semiconductor design capability honed by recent experience with devices and drivers plus
the mathematics and techniques of computer interface.
- 3. Computer Aided Design experience and tools for comprehensive electronic-mechanical design
and simulation. We are familiar with modest CAM efforts and stereo-lithographic capabilities.
- 4. Facilities to perform modest development and initial production/assembly tasks (2000+ feet of
workspace, design and prototype tools components and test equipment.)
These aspects have arisen from our efforts in the following areas:
- 1. Full telecommunications capability including an Internet presence.
- 2. A collaboration network of technology specialists and management consultants.
- 3. Modest credit with over 20 key electronic component and material suppliers.
- 4. An extensive pool of qualified local contract labor and working agreements with local machine
shops and assembly houses.
- 5. A willingness and demonstrated capability to operate in an inclusive team environment in
conformance with international quality standards.
- 6. A thorough overview of the current light transportation marketplace. We are on speaking (or non-speaking)
terms with every US Electric Vehicle organization.
We maintain a strong connection with our community through participation in environmental and
ecological efforts at 10% of our time and do profit share.
Our business goal is to continue and strengthen our on-going efforts and increase involvement with
like-minded futurists for the benefit of ourselves and the planet.
- 1. Design/Development of several light transportation systems (ElectraSkoot, Eros & ElectriLite (in
process) for the community light electric vehicle market.
- 2. Design/Development (in process) of several permanent magnet, brushless DC motors with
integral controllers in conjunction with our magnetics design associate. (1 to 25 horsepower)
- 3. Design/Development of several inexpensive full featured. pulse width modulated motor
controllers in the 5 to 2 kilowatt range. Development target was $.1O/Watt to end-user.
- 4. Design/Development of several high-efficiency DC-DC converters in the 2 to 2 kilowatt regime.
Development target was $.5O/Watt to end-user.
- 5. Design/Development of a biofeedback personal development tool, (MoodSinger)
- 6. Design/Development of a biofeedback therapist professional tool (Biosonde) using
microprocessor control of data acquisition, display and feedback.
- 7. Design/Development of a custom biofeedback training laboratory (BioBus) using microprocessor
control of data acquisition. display and feedback
- 8. Development of a physical therapy professional management software system.
- 9. Several local consultancies in embedded system software and hardware design areas.
- 10. Involvement with several ecology oriented publications.
We live in the most interesting time since history began. With individual access to more information
than we could ever dream about 30 years ago, we find ourselves faced with an awesome responsibility: to
change the way we act, or to watch the planet deteriorate.
My personal insights into our wounded ecology has been growing since childhood when I found myself
riding trolleys out of dreary neighborhoods to the sanctum of the upper Charles River basin in Boston.
Only there could I discover the wonders of the natural world for myself.